Video ad council
The objective of the Video Ad Council of IAB Ireland is to promote video advertising in Ireland. We are focused on growing standards and proving its effectiveness as a mainstay of online display advertising. The group contains representatives from across publishers, agencies, creative and networks.
Chair: Diarmuid Gill, ADTECH
David Graham, Google
Sinead Conway, Starcom
John Patten, Digitize
Garret O’Beirne, OmnicomMediaGroup
Sally Ann King, Mindshare
Helen Beecher, Microsoft
Jill O’Brien, TV3
Definition of Video Advertising:
Video display advertising is separate to rich media advertising and is advertising sold around online video content, whereas rich media is streamed advertising that is launched on static pages.
Linear Instream means Ads that take over the full video experience for a period of time – pre-rolls, mid-rolls, post-rolls.
Non Linear Instream means Ads running concurrently with video content experience but do not take over the full video experience – commonly known as overlays or companion ads.
Video and Display Advertising Jargon Buster:
Video Ad Formats:
In order to simplify the digital video advertising buying and selling process, the Video Council of the IAB has developed these guidelines and best practices for the most common current in-stream ad formats, including:
- Linear video ads
- Non-linear video ads
- Companion ads
These recommendations have been constructed for these ad formats in order to meet the following marketplace needs:
- More efficient operations through a common set of creative submission guidelines
- More efficient development of ads and players through minimum common creative guidelines, including click functionality and duration definitions
- Easier digital video ad buying across multiple sites through minimum common ad sizes for overlay and companion ads
- Better consumer understanding of ad interactions and environments through best practice recommendations for creative development and player environments
There are three types of recommendations contained in this document for each ad format:
- Ad Format guidelines
- Common creative submission recommendations
- Additional best practices
While this document’s purpose is to develop more standardisation in the most common areas of the digital video landscape, the IAB continues to encourage creativity and innovation in video ad formats. As with all IAB guidelines, this document will be updated as the dynamic digital video advertising landscape progresses and new ad formats become more widely adopted.