IAB Ireland press release
Friday, 24th April 2020
Irish Digital Advertising Spend grew by 17% in 2019 according to the latest IAB / PwC Online Adspend Study published today.
- Total digital adspend was €673m reflecting year-on-year growth of 17% for 2019
- Social and video drive online display advertising’s 30% growth to €326m in 2020
- Search grew by 7% to €306m
- Recognising the impact of COVID-19, IAB Ireland advertisers/agency members predict a 10-20% decrease in digital adspend in 2020 while also predicting that digital adspend will rebound in Q3/Q4 in 2020
Digital advertising spend in the Irish market for 2019 reached €673m according to the latest results of the IAB PwC Online Adspend report, reflecting a growth rate of 17% year on year.
Display advertising grew by 30% to €326m in 2019, which was driven by the growth of Social with a 39% year on year (YoY) increase and Video with a 42% YoY growth rate.
Search advertising grew by 7% in 2019 with an adspend of €306m and a share of 45% of the total Irish digital advertising market.
Classified online advertising performed strongly with an 8% YoY growth rate and a 6% share of the total 2019 digital adspend at €41m.
Growth across Search, Display, Social Media and Video – FY 2019 vs FY 2018 (€m)
Formats are not all mutually exclusive – there is some overlap across specific formats
All growth figures are cross platform and figure and percentages are rounded
* Includes social media, native, video, email, standard display units, section takeovers, digital audio and network-related advertising
** Includes social video, social native (in-feed) and social display
*** Includes publisher video and social video
Source: IAB / PwC Online Adspend FY 2019
Growth in digital consumption in Ireland
- 91% of households have access to the internet at home
- 88% use smartphones to go online out of home and almost 80% go online every day
(Source: Information Society Statistics – Households 2019 [CSO])
- Social media users grew by 5.2% to 3.2m between April 2019 and Jan 2020
- 93% watch online videos and 38% consume vlogs
(Source: Digital 2020 Ireland – We Are Social and Hootsuite)
- 66% of adults listen to digital audio, consuming an average of 13.6 hours per week
(Source: IAB Ireland RED C Listen Up Ireland 2019)
Commenting on the study results Suzanne McElligott, CEO, IAB Ireland, said, ”As we publish our 2019 IAB PwC Online advertising report we are very conscious that the current pandemic is presenting unprecedented challenges to the entire advertising industry. Yet Irish people have never been more engaged online. Our publisher members report an average increase of 49% in unique users over recent weeks and as we work from home and observe social isolation users are also more active on social and video platforms”
“IAB Ireland’s survey on the impact of COVID-19 found that advertiser/agency participants predict a 10-20% reduction in digital adspend in 2020. Seventy-three percent of advertisers/agency participants believe that digital advertising will rebound in Q3/Q4 2020 and we are working with all our members to assist them in their plans to reactivate online adspend” she concluded.
Nuala Nic Ghearailt, Manager, PwC, added: “Video and Social are recognised as the key drivers of digital advertising growth globally. Our 2019 report sees this trend continuing in the Irish market, with social adspend growing 39% year on year. Video spend at €130m now represents 40% of total display spend. Social spend across formats including video at €223m was a third of total digital advertising spend in 2019”
Shane Nolan, Chairman of IAB Ireland Board and Director of New Business Sales EMEA, Google said, “Ireland’s 2019 digital adspend of €673m reflects a 17% growth rate. The Irish advertising industry is an agile, well connected market and in the current very challenging COVID-!9 pandemic, the industry is well placed to collaborate. IAB Ireland and its members are now more than ever focused on working together to maintain a sustainable future for the Irish digital advertising industry.”