IAB Ireland and Nielsen release latest Irish research which confirms Video on Demand (VOD) viewing is entrenched in the market
• 74% of Irish Adults (16 +) have watched VOD in the last 6 months
• Half of VOD viewers watch daily, rising to 3 in 4 amongst adults under 25.
• 40% of VOD viewers watch more VOD than TV (32% in 2016)
The Power of VOD 4 was launched on October 26th, at IAB MoVi 2017 at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin. This is Wave 4 of IAB Ireland’s research, conducted by Nielsen looking at the reach and profile of VOD users, the trends emerging in VOD consumption, time spent viewing and reactions to advertising.
The first wave of the research was in 2014, the second and third waves were 2015 and 2016, and Wave 4 builds on those insights.
The key findings of the research are:
- 74% of Irish adults have viewed VOD in the last six months, up from 67% in 2015
- Free services namely video only content sites and social media are the most popular platforms and deliver the highest reach
- Half of VOD viewers watch daily, rising to 3 in 4 amongst Adults under 25
- 72% are claiming to view VOD content for over an hour a day, higher than in previous years
- VOD delivers hard to reach audiences
- 73% use two or more devices to watch VOD
- 67% of VOD viewers watched when ‘out & about’ compared to 63% in 2016 and 47% in 2015.
‘Video Advertising Adspend has consistently been one of the growth drivers in online adspend in this market and globally’ said Maeve O’Meara, IAB Ireland, ‘this in-depth Irish research goes to prove how much Video on Demand Irish viewers are watching – from short social videos to full length episodes and across devices. Video is a powerful medium for Advertisers to reach and resonate with consumers.’
CLICK HERE to view the research:The Power of VOD
Notes: By VOD, we mean streamed, downloaded video content online on any device such as tablet, smartphone, desktop, smartTV, games console. Both professionally produced and user-generated video content is included, whatever the length of the video.
For more, contact Maeve O’Meara, 086 8522291 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Study:
The first wave of this online survey was conducted by Nielsen in September 2014, wave 2 was in March 2015, followed by Wave 3 in March 2016.
This latest wave was in field in September 2017.
About IAB Ireland
IAB Ireland (www.iabireland.ie) is the trade association for the Irish online advertising industry. As a not for profit organisation IAB Ireland works with members to ensure marketers can identify the best role for online in building their brands. IAB Ireland is licensed by IAB US and is a member of the IAB Europe network. The IAB network shares three core objectives, namely to prove, promote and protect the online advertising industry. These objectives are fulfilled through the dissemination of authoritative research, the organisation of educational events and by promoting industry-wide best practice.